This is an all-time favourite dish of my family and friends. I learned this recipe from my Mother, who was a great cook. The kebabs are easy to make, delicious to eat with Biryani/ Parathas, or sandwiched between two pieces of bread to make delightful snacks, fast and easy for kids’ tiffin boxes.
1. Whole black lentil( whole kali masoor dal) – 1and 1/2 cups
2. Onion. – 1 medium, roughly chopped
3. Ginger. – 1/2″ piece, grated
4. Garlic. – 7-8 pods chopped
5. Whole red chilly. – 1, broken into small pieces
6. Salt to taste
To be tied together in a fine muslin cloth bag:-
7. Bay leaf – 2
8. Black peppercorn. -8-10
9. Black cardamom – 2
10. Green cardamom -2
11. Cinnamon. -2 sticks
12. Cloves. – 5-6
13. Cumin seeds. -1 Tsp
14. Coriander seeds. -2 tbsp
15. Fennel seeds. -1 tbsp( moti saunf)
To be added to kebab dough after cooking:-
16. Onion. -1 medium, chopped finely
17. Green chilly. – 2 chopped finely
18. Green coriander. 2 tbsp chopped finely
1. Wash and soak masoor dal overnight or 6 hours.
2. Drain and put in a pressure cooker.
3. Add onion, ginger, garlic, whole red chilly pieces, the muslin cloth bag with ingredients 7-15, and salt to taste.
4. Add 1 and 1/4 cup water and pressure cook to give one whistle.
5. Lower the flame and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Switch off the gas and let the pressure drop by itself.
7. Discard the cloth bag.
8. Mash the cooked dal well. If too soft, stir on high flame to dry the moisture.
9. Cool the mixture.
10. Add finely chopped onion, green chilly, and green coriander and mix well.
11. Shape into kebabs and shallow fry till crisp and brown on both sides.
12. Serve hot with tomato sauce/ green chutney.