I learnt this dish from my Rajasthani Marwari neighbour. It is a little different from the traditional muthiyas as boiled rice is added to Gram Flour and Wheat Flour. It is a good way to use leftover rice from previous day’s lunch or dinner. I am giving here a step by step recipe along with photographs for easy understanding. It is a very delicious and filling dish that can be had for breakfast or as an evening snack with a cup of tea.
For the Muthiyas
1. 1 cup boiled rice
2. 1and1/2 cups wheat flour(aata)
3. 2Tbs gram flour(besan)
4. 2Tbs oil
5. 1/2 Tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
6. 1/2 Tsp red chilly powder
7. 1Tsp coriander powder(Pisi dhaniya)
8. Salt to taste
1. 1/2 Tsp cummin seeds(jeera)
2. 1/2Tsp small black mustard seeds(rai)
3. A few curry leaves(curry patta)
4. 1/4 Tsp turmeric powder
5. 1/4 Tsp red chilly powder
6. 1Tbs chopped coriander leaves(hari dhaniya)
7. 1-2 chopped green chillies
8. Salt , if required.
9. 2 Tbs oil
1. Mix together rice, aata, besan, oil, spices and salt and make a soft dough with little water.
3. Put the rolls in a pan of boiling water, cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes on slow heat.
4. Insert a knife in a Muthia. If the knife comes out clean, they are done.
5. Switch off gas and cool.
6. Take out the muthiyas and discard water.
7. Cut into 1/2 ” round pieces.
8. In a pan heat oil, add the jeera, rai and curry leaves till the seeds splutter.
9. Add the cut muthiya pieces.
10. Stir gently for a minute.
11.Add the remaining ingredients given under tempering and stir for a few minutes till the pieces are well coated with the spices.