I have made the Avial without the traditional coconut. A delicious dish made out of curd and mixed vegetables. Great for children who don’t like to eat vegetables like lauki and pumpkin! It is a dish from South India and a complete dish because of the vegetables.
1. 2 cups finely chopped mixed vegetables like carrot, bottle gourd(lauki), yellow pumpkin(kaddu), yam(suran), cluster beans(gwar fali), green banana,ivy gourd(kundru), French beans, flat beans(sem) etc.
2. 1 tbsp oil.
3. A pinch asafoetida (heeng)
4. 1/2 Tsp fine black mustard seeds(rai)
5. A few curry leaves
6. 1/2 Tsp haldi powder
7. Salt to taste
8. A big bowl fresh curd lightly beaten to remove lumps.
Heat oil. Add heeng, rai and curry leaves. Add finely chopped vegetables, haldi and salt and stir fry lightly. Cook covered on low flame till vegetables are properly cooked.
Switch off fire and cool completely.
When cool, add well beaten curd and mix well.
Add a little salt, if required.
Serve chilled with Masala Bhaat.
1. 1 cup rice washed 2 hours prior to cooking. ( do not soak in water)
2. 1/2 cup green peas
3. 1/2 cup cauliflower chopped into small florets
4. 1/2 cup ivy gourd( kundru/ tondli) sliced longitudinally
5. 1/2 Tsp rai
6. 1/2 Tsp black pepper corns( sabut kali mirch)
7. 2 bay leaves( tej patta)
8. A few curry leaves
9. 2-3 cloves( Laung)
10. A pinch heeng
11. 1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
12. 1/2 Tsp haldi powder
13. 1/2 red chilly powder
14. Salt to taste
15. 2 and 1/4 cups water
16. 2 tsps jaggery(gur)
17. 1 Tsp beaten curd
18. 3 tbsp ghee
1. Chopped green coriander leaves 2 tbsp
2. Grated coconut 2 tbsp
Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan . Add rai, jeera, tej patta, curry patta, Laung, kalimirch,haldi, heeng, lal mirch . Add chopped vegetables and stir fry.
Add salt, gur and curd and mix well.
Add 2 and 1/4 cups water and bring to boil.
Lower the flame and cook covered till rice is cooked.
To serve, grease a round mould , place chopped coriander at the bottom, then a layer of coconut and lastly heap masala bhaat on it and pack tightly.
Invert on a plate so that coriander comes up on top.
Serve hot with chilled Avial