This is a very popular Bengali dish made from bottle gourd (lauki) skin sautéed with green chillies and onion.
1. Skin of one medium bottle gourd
2. Onion – 1 big
3. Green chilly – 2
4. Kalaunji ( kala jeera) – 1/2 Tsp
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tsp
6. Red chilly powder – 1/4 Tsp
7. Salt to taste
8. Oil – 3 tbsp
1. Peel the skin thickly with a knife together with a little flesh of the lauki. Do not use a peeler.
6. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan/karahi
7. Add kalonji and whole green chillies
8. Add onion and fry till light brown.
9. Add haldi powder and red chilly powder and mix well.
10. Add the boiled peels and mix well.
11. Add salt to taste.
12. Cover with a thali or plate with a hollow centre.
13. Pour water on the plate. This will prevent the vegetable from getting burnt at the bottom of the pan.
14. Cook on slow heat till oil separates.
15. Remove cover and fry lightly till nicely brown.
16. Serve hot with Roti or Rice.
Bengalis enjoy this with rice.